Vaka refers to canoes or voyages in a number of Pacific languages. This workshop builds on the youth camp workshop as we continue the journey towards higher education participation and success.
This workshop is for Pasifika secondary students in Years 11 and 12 who are considering or are serious about university study. The workshop provides students an opportunity to explore and learn more about some of the different programs of study at ANU.
Over two days, students experience what it is like to study at ANU. The holistic experience sees students take part in a number of select lectures, tutorials and activities from different departments and ANU colleges. The lectures and activities include:
- Pacific history lecture (ANU College of Asia and the Pacific)
- Fiji village project (ANU School of Medicine)
- ROBOGALS (ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science)
- Pacific ways of knowing (ANU College of Asia and the Pacific)
- Literature and rap (ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences)
- Getting down to business (ANU College of Business and Economics)
- Law moot trial (ANU College of Law)
- Circuit workout (ANU Sport)